I Will Never Be The Same, I Will Never Forget

sharing glimpses of His love & sprinkles of His grace

I Will Never Be The Same, I Will Never Forget

By Barbie   /     Sep 11, 2011  /     Faith  /     ,

A beautiful sky line,
stately towers in the background,
the morning sun clouded by smoke.
They came so fast, how could we have been prepared?
Mass chaos, tears streaming, people running,
Fear so close you could breathe it in.
How can this be?  Surely, it must all be a dream.

A symbol of strength, they once stood proud and strong.
But now they burn, tumbling, crashing to the ground.
“Oh God, No!”, I cried.  “There are still people inside”.
I prayed for a miracle.  I prayed they would be saved.
I wept, I screamed, I begged God.
In the blink of an eye, everything changed.

Moments, hours and days passed,
yet I felt as if it were all still a bad dream
My heart was breaking, my mind could not comprehend.
Did I dare cling to hope when it seemed all was lost?
How could we move on from here?

But in tragedy lies a bond so strong it cannot be broken.
Brought together in grief.  Learning to trust.  Daring to hope.
Many people left their lives behind to come and help.
Firefighters, military personnel, police men and women,
ordinary people, like you and me.

They came without regard for their own safety.
They brought food and water.
They strengthened through prayer, through His Word.
They bonded through hugs and tears shared.

We lost so much of who we were on that day.
Our identity was stolen, ripped to shreds before our very eyes.
So many hopes, so many dreams, so many lives.
Lost.  Buried amongst the rubble.

But in many ways we found ourselves.
Our strength, our hope, our future.
Bound together through loss.  Our eyes were forced to look up.
In God, we put our trust.  In God, we rest.
For only in Him lies the power to resurrect
all that was lost on that terrible day.
© Barbie Swihart 2011

Today I remember those whose lives were lost.  I pray for their families, that they would be comforted as only He can comfort.  I pray for their children, left fatherless, that they would know there is a Father in Heaven who watches over them and loves them.  I pray for those who lived through this tragedy, that they would be strengthened.  That God would heal their wounds.  That He would heal their hearts.

I will never be the same.  I will never forget.

About Barbie

I am wife and mom to four beautiful children. I have been marked by the love of a relentless God who never stops pursuing me. My desire is to encourage you on your own journey, giving you glimpses of His love and sprinkles of His grace along the way.

1. Larri at Seams Inspired Says: September 11, 2011 10:43 am

My prayers are the same as yours, Barbie. Thank you for sharing your beautiful poem and heart today. My trust in God and His plan is all I can cling to when I try to wrap my head around why He allowed these events to occur.

Reply this comment
  2. Larri at Seams Inspired Says: September 11, 2011 10:43 am

Reply this comment
  3. Keenalynn Says: September 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Beautifully written!!

Reply this comment
  4. Jenny@ADropintheBucket Says: September 11, 2011 7:22 am

So beautiful.  So true.  Thank you for writing this.

Reply this comment
  5. Debbie Says: September 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Wow Barbie!  Did you write this beautiful thoughtful poem?  It’s amazing and speaks from your heart.  Loved it and you.  I’ve been contemplating what to write later today on Heart Choices and if you don’t mind, I may include a link to your poem if that’s OK.

Love you,
    Debbie

Reply this comment
  6. Maria Says: September 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Barbie, beautifully written.  I think it is interesting that a whole nation for the most part today have that same prayers, it doesn’t matter what religion they are.  And may I point out how poingnant it is for me to read while your blog music is playing in the background, because the music is so full of hope.  I love it.  Best wished, Maria.

Reply this comment
  7. Janice Says: September 12, 2011 3:50 am

Thank you for beautiful words and thanks for posting. I share on my blog how my third graders responded that day. One did seem the grasp that it was significant.

Reply this comment
  8. Kerri Smith Says: September 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Beautiful heart filled poem, Barbie!

Reply this comment
  9. Jennifer Says: September 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Beautiful words, Barbie.  Praying with you today.

Reply this comment
  10. Janice Says: September 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks for the beautiful poem. I was teaching at a Christian school at the time and share my experiences with my third graders on my blog. One of them seemed to understand the significance.

Reply this comment