Faith

I Will Never Be The Same, I Will Never Forget

September 11, 2011

A beautiful sky line,
stately towers in the background,
the morning sun clouded by smoke.
They came so fast, how could we have been prepared?
Mass chaos, tears streaming, people running,
Fear so close you could breathe it in.
How can this be?  Surely, it must all be a dream.

A symbol of strength, they once stood proud and strong.
But now they burn, tumbling, crashing to the ground.
“Oh God, No!”, I cried.  “There are still people inside”.
I prayed for a miracle.  I prayed they would be saved.
I wept, I screamed, I begged God.
In the blink of an eye, everything changed.

Moments, hours and days passed,
yet I felt as if it were all still a bad dream
My heart was breaking, my mind could not comprehend.
Did I dare cling to hope when it seemed all was lost?
How could we move on from here?

But in tragedy lies a bond so strong it cannot be broken.
Brought together in grief.  Learning to trust.  Daring to hope.
Many people left their lives behind to come and help.
Firefighters, military personnel, police men and women,
ordinary people, like you and me.

They came without regard for their own safety.
They brought food and water.
They strengthened through prayer, through His Word.
They bonded through hugs and tears shared.

We lost so much of who we were on that day.
Our identity was stolen, ripped to shreds before our very eyes.
So many hopes, so many dreams, so many lives.
Lost.  Buried amongst the rubble.

But in many ways we found ourselves.
Our strength, our hope, our future.
Bound together through loss.  Our eyes were forced to look up.
In God, we put our trust.  In God, we rest.
For only in Him lies the power to resurrect
all that was lost on that terrible day.
© Barbie Swihart 2011

Today I remember those whose lives were lost.  I pray for their families, that they would be comforted as only He can comfort.  I pray for their children, left fatherless, that they would know there is a Father in Heaven who watches over them and loves them.  I pray for those who lived through this tragedy, that they would be strengthened.  That God would heal their wounds.  That He would heal their hearts.

I will never be the same.  I will never forget.

You Might Also Like

• Reply Larri at Seams Inspired September 11, 2011 at 10:43 am

My prayers are the same as yours, Barbie. Thank you for sharing your beautiful poem and heart today. My trust in God and His plan is all I can cling to when I try to wrap my head around why He allowed these events to occur.

• Reply Barbie September 14, 2011 at 7:38 am

It’s so difficult to understand.  But yes, we cling to God and Him alone.

• Reply Larri at Seams Inspired September 11, 2011 at 10:43 am

• Reply Keenalynn September 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Beautifully written!!

• Reply Jenny@ADropintheBucket September 11, 2011 at 7:22 am

So beautiful.  So true.  Thank you for writing this.

• Reply Barbie September 14, 2011 at 7:37 am

Thank you Jenny.  I appreciate your visit.

• Reply Debbie September 11, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Wow Barbie!  Did you write this beautiful thoughtful poem?  It’s amazing and speaks from your heart.  Loved it and you.  I’ve been contemplating what to write later today on Heart Choices and if you don’t mind, I may include a link to your poem if that’s OK.

Love you,
    Debbie

• Reply Barbie September 11, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Yes, Debbie, I wrote it. I started with a completely different post, but just asked the Lord what I should do and I heard him say to write from my heart. I don’t mind if you share the link!

• Reply Debbie September 13, 2011 at 3:10 am

I didn’t realize your reply was here.  I ended up not posting on 9/11 but I did have a link to your poem on my Facebook profile.  It was very good!

• Reply Maria September 11, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Barbie, beautifully written.  I think it is interesting that a whole nation for the most part today have that same prayers, it doesn’t matter what religion they are.  And may I point out how poingnant it is for me to read while your blog music is playing in the background, because the music is so full of hope.  I love it.  Best wished, Maria.

• Reply Barbie September 14, 2011 at 7:41 am

Thank you Maria!  You are the first person to say that my blog music was enjoyable and brings hope.  I had it custom designed just to fit my blog!

• Reply Janice September 12, 2011 at 3:50 am

Thank you for beautiful words and thanks for posting. I share on my blog how my third graders responded that day. One did seem the grasp that it was significant.

• Reply Barbie September 14, 2011 at 7:42 am

I can imagine it being very hard to explain to a child so young.

• Reply Kerri Smith September 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Beautiful heart filled poem, Barbie!

• Reply Barbie September 14, 2011 at 7:42 am

Thank you Kerri!

• Reply Jennifer September 12, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Beautiful words, Barbie.  Praying with you today.

• Reply Janice September 13, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Thanks for the beautiful poem. I was teaching at a Christian school at the time and share my experiences with my third graders on my blog. One of them seemed to understand the significance.