Unwrapping Jesus: {The Hope of Christmas}

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops… at all.  ~Emily Dickinson

Christmas is a season full of hope and wonder.  It is a time filled with light and overwhelming joy.  On Christmas, we celebrate the hope that was wrapped up in a newborn babe, laying in a manger, in a stable.  His birth was one of simplicity and humility, yet all of heaven rejoiced at His sight.  Wise Men came from afar to behold and adore Him, and bestow upon him costly gifts.

This is a season for celebration.  Our homes are decorated and lights are strung inside and out for all to see.  Gifts are wrapped and placed beneath our trees, and stockings are overflowing with small tokens of His goodness.  Together, as families and friends, we share a common bond in the hope that Christmas brings.

But what about those who have lost sight of hope?

What about that child who said goodbye to a parent this year?

Or the mother who never held the life that was welling up inside of her?

What about the teenager who gave up before hope was realized in his life?

What about the couple who felt all hope was lost and walked away?

What about the son who lost his life giving hope to others?

What about the orphan thousands of miles away who never felt the touch of a mother’s love?

What about the father, out of work, struggling to provide?

Do they know that He came to bring hope?

Have they yet encountered His love?

Do they understand that He is with them in this hard season?

Do they believe that He will never leave them nor forsake them?

Do they know that He hears the cry of their heart and holds their tears in a bottle?

Do you, my friend, know that you can bring hope to someone who is hurting this Christmas season?

Hope was planted as a seed in our hearts by the giver of life.  It was watered by the Word, which became flesh and dwelt among us.  Hope birthed in a child born in a lowly stable.  Did anyone know then the hope that was wrapped up in that babe?  I believe that if the animals could have spoken, they would have declared “glory in the highest” right along with the angelic hosts.

It’s easy to bring hope to others.  This hope birthed in your heart, watered by the Word.  It is seasoned and grows with love through a warm smile, a soft touch, a listening ear.  It’s not hard, this giving of hope.  It’s welling up on the inside.  Hope was born to be given away.  A free gift to those who are hurting this Christmas.

This is my hope for Christmas.  That I would bring the hope of Jesus into the lives of others.

I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.  (Romans 15:13)

How will you allow God to use you to bring hope to others this Christmas?  I’m linking up with Bonnie, the Faith Barista, where we are unwrapping Jesus the month of December.  Will you join us?

FaithBarista_Christmas_JamBadge

Join me!

Barbie

I am wife, mom to 4 beautiful children, sister, daughter and friend. I have been marked by the love of a relentless God who never stops pursuing me. My desire is to encourage you on your journey, giving you glimpses of His love and sprinkles of His grace along the way.
Join me!

Receive The Daily Brew in your in box!

Comments

1. Jamie Schulz says

Amen, Barbie! It is more blessed to give than to receive. And what a beautiful thing to be able to give away Hope this Christmas!

2. Aisling Beatha says

I’m doing a school assembly talk this month based on more or less the first part of this (can’t get away with the 2nd part in schools sadly).  It’s titled “Christmas might not be all we expect it to be” and involves chocolate covered sprouts.

3. Alene Snodgrass says

Ah – those questions you ask about those who have lost sight of hope. Those people, those souls are the ones who make my heart ache during the holidays. I want to love on them, to bring them hope — but the holidays are just hard. My heart cries out, may I learn to breath in and live out hope while sharing it with others. Blessings friend.

• says

I know what you feel.  I am the only one who knows Jesus in my entire family (parents, siblings) and it’s so hard to hear they things they talk about.  I pray for them all the time.  Praying we both are used to bring hope this Christmas.

Beautiful friend. I was just talking with someone today whose husband has lost hope. Hope is such a powerful thing. I love what you wrote here and how you acknowledge that sometimes life seems hopeless. ;)

Hi Barbie, I really enjoyed this post. As I read what you wrote about sharing hope with others, I was thinking that sharing it comes easily when you truly feel it, when it feels like it can’t be contained. Then I read Romans 15:13, which I’ve read many times and yet it felt different as I just read it. Hard to explain other than I wasn’t just reading it–I felt it.

In Christ,
    Laura

• says

What a wonderful encounter.  I’ve often “felt” the Word while reading.  As if they Word of God, God Himself, came down to give me intense revelation!

Barbie, Thank you.  Thank you.  I want to do this to.  I want to bring hope to His children — those children who so desperately need to hear His voice, feel His touch, see His face.  You help me want this, with your stunning heart.  So grateful.

This year I am more aware than ever before of the miraculous gift of Jesus. I fail to imagine all the wonder that fills the lives of those that look to Him, wait on Him, and unwrap Him every day.