My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Delight

February 17, 2012

Today I am linking up with The Gypsy Mama for the Five Minute Friday.  This playing with words has been so good for my heart.  We write for just 5 minutes.  No editing.  No backtracking. No worrying about whether it’s perfect or right.  Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Today’s Prompt:  Delight

Ready…Set…Go!

Do I dare believe that the God of the universe delights in me?

How can a holy God, pure and spotless take pleasure in someone who is scared and made imperfect by sin?

But He does.  He rejoices over me with singing.  He dances over me with joy.

He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”  (Zephaniah 3:17)

Do I delight in Him?  My heart says “yes”, even though my actions at times may fail.  I want Him to be my one and only pleasure.  The fulfillment that I seek beyond anything this world has to offer.

I delight in Him.

And when I delight in Him, He promises to give to me the desires of my heart.  Not my own, selfish desires, but those desires that come from a life of surrender and abandonment.  For when I fully delight in Him, His desires become my desires.

Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.  (Psalm 37:4)

He desires me.

His desire is for me.  He longs to be with me.  He takes pleasure in my company.

I will take pleasure in the goodness of the Lord.  I will delight myself in Him.

I belong to my lover, and his desire is for me.  (Song of Solomon 7:10)

Stop.

*Scripture references added after the timer dinged.

Do you want to play along?  Here’s how:

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Please visit the person who linked up before you & leave an encouraging comment.

You Might Also Like

• Reply dailydwelling February 17, 2012 at 4:04 am

What a comfort it  is to know that He delights in us! It is sometimes so hard to believe because I am so flawed and I fail so often, but yet, time and time again He forgives, He offers grace, and He delights. Thank you for these refreshing and encouraging words today!

• Reply Barbie February 17, 2012 at 10:42 am

Thank you Monica for stopping by today!

• Reply Anonymous February 17, 2012 at 4:43 am

Beautiful, uplifting words, Barbie. I also used that Zephanaiah scripture, as it was the very first word that came to mind when saw the prompt. It has become one of my most favorite scriptures. Pure beauty and grace in knowing the Father delights in me.

• Reply Barbie February 17, 2012 at 10:43 am

Yes!  Zephaniah is one of my favorite scriptures as well!  I once had a vision of the Father meeting me in a wide open space, taking me in His arms and twirling me around.  Ahhh…we truly are His delight!

• Reply Caroline @UnderGod'sMightyHand February 17, 2012 at 10:52 am

What an amazing love that God WANTS to delight in us. Thank you for such a beautiful five minute post.

• Reply Barbie February 17, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Thanks for stopping by Caroline!

• Reply charis February 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm

you used some of my favorite passages!  i linked up today too.  i love seeing all the different angles people come from to write about the exact same word.  beautiful thoughts for today.

• Reply Barbie February 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I’ll have to go read your post! Can’t wait. I just love the Friday “free writing”.

• Reply Ms. Kathleen February 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Such sweet sentiments about our loving God – Have a wonderfully delightful day :)

• Reply Barbie February 17, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Thank you so much Kathleen!

• Reply Sherrey Meyer February 17, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s posts today about delight!  They have been so encouraging and uplifting.  I need to block out time for 5 Minute Fridays with Gypsy Mama.  :)

• Reply Barbie February 18, 2012 at 9:08 am

Oh yes! It’s such a freeing time of writing. You will love it!