Strength in Vulnerability

© Yanterric - Fotolia.com

There are days when I am driven to my knees in prayer.  Moments when I am overcome by my tremendous lack and my intense desire and need for more of Him.  And as I lay there, baring my soul, He is faithful to come, showering me with His grace, mercy and forgiveness, overwhelming me by His love.  Yet I am weak.  I am vulnerable.  And I hold back, choosing to give just half of my heart to Him while trying to hold on to the other half.

Why do I sometimes want to keep pieces of my heart from Him?  As if He cannot see what already is hidden deep beneath the surface.

Shame.  Unforgiveness.  Pride.  Selfishness.  Worry.  Anxiety.

But then He asks, “Do you trust Me”?  And my heart is grieved as I realize I have not fully come to a place of trust, a place where I can be fully vulnerable before Him.

For to give myself completely to the Lord is to allow myself to be laid bare before Him.  Taking off everything that I thought I was and laying myself naked at the foot of the cross.  And once I am fully exposed, I leave myself open to being wounded, offended or hurt.  To allow Him to love me is to make myself vulnerable.  For to love is to risk.

“Do you trust me?”  Abandoning all into His capable hands.  Will I get hurt?  Possibly.  But His thoughts are higher than mine.  His ways greater.  And I am weak, but He is strong.  Yet it is my voluntary weakness, the act of saying, “Yes, Lord, I trust You”, even when I cannot see, that drives me deeper into His presence.  Even when I cannot feel Him. Even when others point fingers and cast judgment.  Even when I stare at my filthy rags in the mirror.  When I allow myself to be vulnerable, trusting Him in my weakness, He changes me from the inside out.

He promises to give me beauty for ashes.  This giving of my heart away to the only One I can trust to take care of it is not a one time act.  It’s a moment by moment giving of myself.  A constant state of self denial.  A movement towards becoming more like Him.

For the Lord does not abandon anyone forever.  Though he brings grief, he also shows compassion according to the greatness of his unfailing love.  For he does not enjoy hurting people or causing them sorrow.  (Lamentations 3:31-33)

Thank you Lord, that you take my weak and vulnerable heart and are making it something beautiful.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0

Receive The Daily Brew updates by email!
* = required field

Comments

1. SrvnGod says

He knows we are but dust, and that we pant for Him. Such a sweet love. Unfailing love, how can it be, that my Jesus died for me.

2. Anonymous says

Barbie, once again, I can so relate to your words.  I don’t like to be vulnerable, even with God.  I hold back a part of my heart, as if He doesn’t already know what is there.  But the only way I can be truly free is to give Him all of me.  I need to lay it all down at the foot of the cross.

Beautifully written and very challenging.  Thanks, Barbie!

You know how to speak right to my heart, Barbie.
    “A constant state of self denial.” Yes. That’s what I’m striving for. who knew it would take such effort!
    Thank you for sharing with your heart open wide. . .and I have complete faith we can both do this!

I do this without even realizing it sometimes: “And I hold back, choosing to give just half of my heart to Him while trying to hold on to the other half.”

I so agree with you, too, that vulnerability *requires* trust. I studied Psalm 40 this week, and it spoke volumes on trust. Patient, vulnerable trust.

Great post, Barbie.

5. Hazel Moon says

We feel those times of remorse knowing that we should have or should NOT have done something, but as we are reminded that God has no record of those doing because when He forgave us, he wiped the slate clean and cast all that into the deepest sea.  Amazing God we serve?  Right?

Thank you for pouring out your heart so beautifully. It speaks straight to my heart, today.  I struggle with leaving it ALL at the foot of the cross but I continue to strive for just that….the ability to become completely vulnerable.

I wonder if I hold part of myself back because I’m afraid His answer will be no. As if I can do anything better on my own than what He can do in me. Beautiful post!

• says

Oh I get that. Sometimes I think I am afraid He’ll ask me to lay things down that I love. There’s that trust again, tugging at my heart. Have a beautiful day friend.