Stretch Me Lord!

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

TODAY’S PROMPT:  STRETCH

(photo credit)

When my feet hit the floor each morning, one of the first things I like to do is stretch. There is something about expanding my muscles that allows me to feel prepared to begin each day. When I stretch, my aches and pains seem to disappear.  I stand, feet firmly planted on the ground.  Lifting my arms up to the heavens, I inhale deeply, and midway through the stretch, I exhale loudly as my voice responds to the stretch.

God has a way of stretching me.  Like a rubber band, I feel stretched at times. He calls me to exercise muscles that I’ve never used before.  At first, I shrink back, comfortable to be left in the place where I’ve already been.  But He continues to call me up, and out, and forward.  I want to stretch you beyond your abilities.  I want you to reach farther, to touch heaven.”

Although the stretch is often painful, He promises that I will never be broken, never be torn beyond repair.  The stretch enlarges my heart and opens me wide to receive all that He has prepared for me.

Stretch me Lord!  I am willing.

Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes.   (Isaiah 54:2 NIV)

Five Minute Friday

Join me!

Barbie

I am wife, mom to 4 beautiful children, sister, daughter and friend. I have been marked by the love of a relentless God who never stops pursuing me. My desire is to encourage you on your journey, giving you glimpses of His love and sprinkles of His grace along the way.
Join me!

Comments

1. BethFerrell says

Amen Barbie! He definitely has a way of stretching us. He knows how easily we would stay in that comfortable position. Have a blessed Friday!

2. StefanieYoungBrown says

I second Beth’s amen! I love what you said here: “Although the stretch is often painful, He promises that I will never be
    broken, never be torn beyond repair. The stretch enlarges my heart and
    opens me wide to receive all that He has prepared for me.” I’m right there with you, Barbie!
    Have a wonderful Friday, my friend!

Oh, amen! We are so kindred. Let’s wear these stretchmarks of living proudly. for they display the beauty of His power in our weakness…

what a wonderful write, friend! Oh what God can do through you. Even five minutes at a time!

4. Meg says

So true, Barbie! I know I’ve certainly experienced plenty of stretching in my short lifetime, and I’m sure there’s much more to come!

5. Christian SuperMom says

Amen to that, Barbie! I love the feeling of stretching when I’m doing it myself. But when God stretches me, it often feels uncomfortable. It’s so good to know His stretching has an equally healthy purpose as my own – actually sometimes an even better purpose. Happy Friday!

6. Lea says

Yours is the 3rd entry I’ve read on “stretch” and they have all been such a blessing. Stretching means growth and I’ve definitely had my fair share in recent months. But, he remains faithful through it all. Blessings for a great weekend!

7. Debbie Petras says

I hear you Barbie! He does stretch us and it can at times be a bit painful. But it’s so good for us.

blessings and love,
    Debbie

8. Wendy Douglas says

“The stretch enlarges my heart …” So love this Barbie! So blessed by your words friend! Have a wonderful weekend!

9. Jacqui says

I like this, Barbie! “He calls me to exercise muscles I’ve never used before.” So very true. If we are to grow, we must step out of our comfort zones…we must use those muscles we’ve never used. Thanks for the encouragement!

10. soulstops says

Yes, He does stretch us beyond our abilities so we rely on His abilities…wonderful write…wishing you a blessed Sunday, Barbie :)

11. Ro elliott says

great post…yes He does stretch…but never to break our hearts…just break down those things that keep us from living free…blessings as we stretch in Him~