Stretch Me Lord!

sharing glimpses of His love & sprinkles of His grace

Stretch Me Lord!

By Barbie   /     Aug 17, 2012  /     My 5 Minute Fridays  /

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

TODAY’S PROMPT:  STRETCH

(photo credit)

When my feet hit the floor each morning, one of the first things I like to do is stretch. There is something about expanding my muscles that allows me to feel prepared to begin each day. When I stretch, my aches and pains seem to disappear.  I stand, feet firmly planted on the ground.  Lifting my arms up to the heavens, I inhale deeply, and midway through the stretch, I exhale loudly as my voice responds to the stretch.

God has a way of stretching me.  Like a rubber band, I feel stretched at times. He calls me to exercise muscles that I’ve never used before.  At first, I shrink back, comfortable to be left in the place where I’ve already been.  But He continues to call me up, and out, and forward.  I want to stretch you beyond your abilities.  I want you to reach farther, to touch heaven.”

Although the stretch is often painful, He promises that I will never be broken, never be torn beyond repair.  The stretch enlarges my heart and opens me wide to receive all that He has prepared for me.

Stretch me Lord!  I am willing.

Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes.   (Isaiah 54:2 NIV)

Five Minute Friday

About Barbie

I am wife and mom to four beautiful children. I have been marked by the love of a relentless God who never stops pursuing me. My desire is to encourage you on your own journey, giving you glimpses of His love and sprinkles of His grace along the way.

1. BethFerrell Says: August 17, 2012 2:33 am

Amen Barbie! He definitely has a way of stretching us. He knows how easily we would stay in that comfortable position. Have a blessed Friday!

2. StefanieYoungBrown Says: August 17, 2012 3:54 am

I second Beth’s amen! I love what you said here: “Although the stretch is often painful, He promises that I will never be
    broken, never be torn beyond repair. The stretch enlarges my heart and
    opens me wide to receive all that He has prepared for me.” I’m right there with you, Barbie!
    Have a wonderful Friday, my friend!

3. Nikki Says: August 17, 2012 7:40 am

Oh, amen! We are so kindred. Let’s wear these stretchmarks of living proudly. for they display the beauty of His power in our weakness…

what a wonderful write, friend! Oh what God can do through you. Even five minutes at a time!

4. Stacie Says: August 17, 2012 7:41 am

You have a beautiful space here. Beautiful words as well.

5. Meg Says: August 17, 2012 10:31 am

So true, Barbie! I know I’ve certainly experienced plenty of stretching in my short lifetime, and I’m sure there’s much more to come!

6. Christian SuperMom Says: August 17, 2012 11:49 am

Amen to that, Barbie! I love the feeling of stretching when I’m doing it myself. But when God stretches me, it often feels uncomfortable. It’s so good to know His stretching has an equally healthy purpose as my own – actually sometimes an even better purpose. Happy Friday!

7. Pam Says: August 17, 2012 3:23 pm

I like that… to touch heaven. Lovely! Echoes in my heart… – Pam, http://wordglow.wordpress.com

8. Barbie Says: August 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks for stopping by today Meg.

9. Barbie Says: August 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Thank you so much Stacie!

10. Lea Says: August 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Yours is the 3rd entry I’ve read on “stretch” and they have all been such a blessing. Stretching means growth and I’ve definitely had my fair share in recent months. But, he remains faithful through it all. Blessings for a great weekend!

11. Debbie Petras Says: August 17, 2012 6:37 pm

I hear you Barbie! He does stretch us and it can at times be a bit painful. But it’s so good for us.

blessings and love,
    Debbie

12. Wendy Douglas Says: August 17, 2012 7:57 pm

“The stretch enlarges my heart …” So love this Barbie! So blessed by your words friend! Have a wonderful weekend!

13. Jacqui Says: August 17, 2012 11:22 pm

I like this, Barbie! “He calls me to exercise muscles I’ve never used before.” So very true. If we are to grow, we must step out of our comfort zones…we must use those muscles we’ve never used. Thanks for the encouragement!

14. Barbie Says: August 18, 2012 8:55 am

I think sometimes He’s closest during those times. Have a beautiful weekend!

15. Kim Says: August 18, 2012 10:30 am

It does hurt to stretch sometimes but He knows what is for the best!

16. Dawn St Amand Paoletta Says: August 18, 2012 3:55 pm

I am kind of thinking of you sweet , in your jammies, stretching…starting your day reaching for Him. Sweet share Barbie!

17. Barbie Says: August 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Yes He does! Thankful you stopped by!

18. soulstops Says: August 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Yes, He does stretch us beyond our abilities so we rely on His abilities…wonderful write…wishing you a blessed Sunday, Barbie :)

19. Ro elliott Says: August 19, 2012 10:14 am

great post…yes He does stretch…but never to break our hearts…just break down those things that keep us from living free…blessings as we stretch in Him~

20. Eileen Knowles Says: August 20, 2012 2:53 am

What a beautiful 5 minutes! I love that picture and the verse!

21. charis Says: August 27, 2012 10:33 pm

barbie, this is where i am right now… such a stretching time on so many many levels and fronts. thanks for the encouragement.