Five Minute Friday: Quiet

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Quiet

(photo credit)

I walk in the door.  Kids screaming.  The laundry machine calling my name.  The hustle and bustle of my husband in the kitchen as he gentle kisses me on the cheek and heads upstairs for a shower. I am left with the sizzling pot of chili on the burner, and cornbread to throw in the oven.

Sigh.

I long for peace and quiet.  But this family of mine needs me.  After working all day I come home to a house full of laughter, full of discussion, sometimes arguments.  I come home to a kitchen messy, empty pantry and baskets overflowing with laundry.  And the noise in my head screams, “Run away!”  A mom’s work is never done.  I’ve clocked in, but I will never clock out.

I long for peace and quiet.  So I sneak away for a moment, in the laundry room and shut the door and ask Him to come.

“Lord, please come.  Quiet my soul among the clamoring of dishes.  Quiet my spirit so that I can hear You clearly among the hustle and bustle of my household.  I want to breath you in.  I want to be still and know that You are God.  In the quiet I can hear You. Lord, come and teach me to hear you among the day-to-day busy life that I am so blessed to have.  I long for peace and quiet.  Come, Lord, and quiet my soul.”

Five Minute Friday

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0

Receive The Daily Brew updates by email!
* = required field

Comments

I should try hiding in the laundry closet and praying. My family would never find me there, lol. I love this reminder. Thanks friend, it’s a beautiful thing that we have a God who comes into our everyday and meets us within all the noise and chaos.
    Alia Joy recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Quiet

Mindy is right, they do grow up quickly, but I can remember feeling exactly as you describe. And at that point in time, it didn’t really matter that eventually all would be quiet!

Your prayer is beautiful. Can you copyright a prayer? Maybe you should find out! Seriously, it is beautiful.

Hugs my friend~
    Mary
    Mary recently posted..5 minute Friday

Oh, the Laundry Room! One of THE best prayer closets, ever! I’m so glad you are able to get some quiet there. I can so identify with that “mama’s work is never done” feeling. That’s when I need run right to that laundry room and get quiet, too.
    Missy recently posted..Quiet (Five Minute Friday)

Yes, as a mom we clock in, but never clock out! That can be so hard sometimes. Stealing those quiet moments are so good for our souls. Thanks for your encouragement, Barbie! Blessings!

• Barbie says

Oh I still pray in the shower. I gotta take advantage of every nook and cranny where there is the absence of little ones (as well as teens)!

Aaah yes… the refuge of the laundry room! No one – and I mean NO ONE – wants to go in there!

I love your prayer – so sweet and pure and powerful… such a great reminder that we don’t need peace and quiet OUTSIDE as much as we truly need it INSIDE!

~Karrilee~
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..FIVE MINUTE FRIDAY – QUIET

I hear you – a mom’s work is never done. I also know [in my head] to appreciate all that comes with ‘mom work’ because it will end too soon – but I hear you and I understand. The longing for quiet. The ache for a small square of space to not be touched or talked to. The calling out to our Heavenly Father – who doesn’t ever feel that way about us the way we sometimes do about being a parent. The picture you chose to reflect quiet is amazingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing your heart – hang in there, keep looking at that heart on your wrist. You are marked as His!
    April {ThoughtfulEscapes.com} recently posted..Giving Thanks [9] & 5minFri: Quiet

Dear Barbie, you made me think of Susanna Wesley and how she would put her apron on her head to tell her 12 kids that she was having a moment with God and to let her be…love your creative laundry room prayer…praying God fills you with His quiet and peace in the midst of your blessings/kids
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Five Minute Fridays: Quiet