My 5 Minute Fridays

Five Minute Friday: Roots

November 1, 2012

Today I am joining Lisa-Jo and others for the 5 Minute Friday where we are given a word prompt and write for just 5 minutes simply for the joy of writing. No editing or backtracking necessary. No need to be perfect. Just words freely flowing from my heart to yours.

Roots

“Rooted and grounded in the marvelous love of God.”

This is the tagline of my blog.  When you visit me here, I want you to experience God’s love.

My love for God began as a seed.  It was cast into the ground and scattered.  Then along came those who brought water and removed the weeds that threatened to choke the life out of me.  Over time, my roots began to sprout and they burrowed deep into the ground.  Sometimes I wanted to hide — the sun was too hot or the wind to dry.  I feared my roots were not strong enough to withstand the ever changing weather in my life.  I continue to burrow, deeper and deeper, longing for the fresh spring of water that comes from the underground.  And there I drank, cool refreshment for my roots.  They continue to grow — deeper and deeper still.  My roots are strong now, holding onto the One who gives me life.

But just when I feel my strength rising up, He comes and cuts.  This pruning is good, allowing for new growth and roots that will grow even stronger and withstand any storm.

having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.  (Colossians 2:7)

I have been on a personal journey over the last several years to come to an understanding of God’s love. My prayer is that I would continually abide in Him so that my roots would go deep and I would be forever anchored in His love.

Five Minute Friday

You Might Also Like

• Reply Alia Joy November 1, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Never been a fan of the pruning but in retrospect I always see the gentle ruthlessness with which HE maintains my growth. So glad for your words this week as it’s been a pruning time in my life in many ways. Such grace to hear right now.
    Alia Joy recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Roots

• Reply Barbie November 2, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Oh yes, the “gentle ruthlessness” of His pruning. So painful at times, yet so needed. Have a beautiful weekend Alia Joy!

• Reply Kris November 2, 2012 at 2:24 am

The pruning is hard, isn’t it, my friend? But so good–He is the perfect gardener who tends to us, His precious shoots with a care and love like no other. Loved this Barbie, love your heart for Him.
    Kris recently posted..Roots

• Reply Barbie November 2, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Amen Kris! He is so tender and kind.

• Reply Laura @ Pruning Princesses November 2, 2012 at 4:37 am

Barbie, I noticed on Twitter this morning that you are a beginning homeschool. This is my first year too! I also noticed you have changed science curriculum. I would love to know your thoughts as we haven’t settled on a science curriculum that we love yet. I am so glad your roots run deep…they touch so many others.
    Laura @ Pruning Princesses recently posted..What if she rejects Jesus?

• Reply Barbie November 2, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Hi Laura! I emailed you about the science curriculum. Thanks for stopping by today!

• Reply denise November 2, 2012 at 4:47 am

Amen, that is my hearts prayer also.
    denise recently posted..Day9-Praying For My Husband

• Reply Barbie November 2, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Thanks for stopping by Denise.

• Reply Mary November 2, 2012 at 5:13 am

This is lovely…just beautiful. I am speechless.
    Mary recently posted..5 minute Friday…

• Reply Barbie November 2, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Thanks so much Mary. Praying you have a beautiful weekend.

• Reply Nataline November 2, 2012 at 5:18 am

“But just when I feel my strength rising up, He comes and cuts”. This is so powerful and so true. Great reminder to expect the pruning and know it leads to our beauty as His children, not just pain.
    Nataline recently posted..Dig deeper

• Reply Barbie November 2, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Amen. He makes all things beautiful in His time. Thanks for stopping by Nataline.

• Reply Jennifer Peterson November 2, 2012 at 6:05 am

Love this!! So beautiful how God grows our love for Him. BTW love the name of your blog!!

• Reply Barbie November 2, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Thanks Jennifer for stopping by. I truly appreciate it!

• Reply Nikki November 2, 2012 at 7:19 am

It’s funny, Barbie. When I saw the word prompt this week, I thought of your tagline!!

beautiful heart…I’m striving with you. Contemplating His love for me never gets old…
    Nikki recently posted..ROOTS ~ Five Minute Friday

• Reply Barbie November 4, 2012 at 8:11 am

It’s a never ending journey, isn’t it my friend? Have a beautiful week.

• Reply Liz November 2, 2012 at 7:43 am

Love your words today. I’ve been on somewhat of a journey learning about God’s love over the last few years – such freedom I’ve been finding! Thank you for sharing. Blessings!

• Reply Barbie November 4, 2012 at 8:14 am

Thanks for stopping by Liz! Praying you are continually blessed on your journey.

• Reply Missy November 2, 2012 at 10:30 am

I greatly admire your desire to continually abide in Him. And oh, that we would continue to grow stronger and stronger as we do! Beautiful words, Barbie.
    Missy recently posted..Best Lines of the Week

• Reply Barbie November 4, 2012 at 8:14 am

Thank you so much Missy!

• Reply Susan Evans November 2, 2012 at 11:23 am

Pruning always goes hand-in-hand with growth and being able to bear more fruit. I just wish it wasn’t so painful…
    Susan Evans recently posted..Lament is Worship

• Reply Barbie November 4, 2012 at 8:14 am

Me too Susan. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Dolly@Soulstops November 2, 2012 at 11:57 am

oh, pruning is never fun, but He prunes only those He is preparing for greater growth…keep sinking your roots in Him…I see His beauty blooming in you, Barbie :)
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Five Minute Fridays: Root

• Reply Barbie November 4, 2012 at 8:15 am

Dolly, thank you so much for encouraging my heart today!

• Reply Marlen November 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog. Beautifully written post =)

• Reply Barbie November 4, 2012 at 8:15 am

Thank you Marlen!

• Reply Jacque Watkins @ Mercy Found Me November 2, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Oh the deep, deep love of God that will never let us go…anchored in His love. Beautiful Barbie!!

• Reply Barbie November 4, 2012 at 8:17 am

Thanks for stopping by Jacque!

• Reply Debbie November 3, 2012 at 7:42 am

Abiding in Him is the key Barbie! I’ve learned that over the years through many a trial. Life has a way of trying to knock us down. But if we plant deep roots in Him, we can stand strong. It’s not our strength but His. Take it from someone who has experienced many changes in life. My hope is in Him.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Roots

• Reply Barbie November 4, 2012 at 8:16 am

Amen and Amen! He is my strength, my refuge, my hope, the Rock that I cling to! Have a beautiful week.

• Reply Becky Neville November 3, 2012 at 8:57 am

He is such a good gardener, isn’t he? I love what he teaches me about himself through his creation.
    Becky Neville recently posted..The Object of My Boast

• Reply Barbie November 4, 2012 at 8:17 am

The best Gardener! Thanks for visiting Becky!

• Reply Lea November 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Another lovely post! It’s always so interesting to see the various paths that everyone takes on these “one words.”

Yes, pruning is generally painful but the results are so worth it.

Hoping you are having a wonderful weekend! Hugs!
    Lea recently posted..Friday Fragments

• Reply Barbie November 4, 2012 at 8:18 am

Yes, pruning is both painful and beautiful! Have a lovely week.