The Weekend Brew: Prayers for Sandy Hook Elementary School Victims

My heart is breaking today for the children and adults whose lives were taken yesterday at the Sandy Hook Elementary School.  My mind just cannot comprehend such loss.  I wanted to do something to honor the victims and the families through our prayers.  This week, will you link up a scripture and a prayer for these families?  God hears our prayers, and I know that those who are dealing with such overwhelming loss will feel them as well.  (*If you’ve already written your post, and it meets the guidelines of scripture and encouragement, please still link up.)

Father, my mind cannot comprehend such violence.  Lord my heart is breaking over the lives lost in this single act of violence.  How can I comfort?  How can I offer hope to those who are suffering such a great loss?  I feel helpless, I have no words, just groanings from deep within.  Father, will you help me to pray?

God, I ask that you would draw near to the families who have lost their children, and those who have lost their loved ones, in this tragedy.  Lord I cannot comprehend the magnitude of their grief. But Lord, you hear their cries.  You see the anguish of their souls.  Lord, you catch every tear and hold it in a bottle.  Lord would you hold them close today? Would you bring words of comfort and hope to their spirits?  Would you cause them to cling to you, the giver of hope, in this season of desperation, doubt, fear, loss and grief.  Lord I know that You are able to breakthrough the darkness that surrounds them and bring Your light, Your peace, Your hope.  I ask that these families would sense your nearness as you hold them close.  Father breathe, breathe Your hope into their hearts today.  And Father, for those who do not know You, would You bring them to salvation?  As they cry out for help, would you reveal Yourself to them?

Father, would you be with the children who witnessed this act of violence. I ask that You would guard their hearts and their minds, and protect them from any long lasting effects from the trauma. I ask , Lord God, that You would begin now to bring healing to their hearts. I pray that You would help their parents to guide them, talk with them, and love them through this.  Father, this is too much for such a young mind to comprehend. Would You come, Lord, and supernaturally remove the trauma. Heal their hearts.  Remove fear Father.  Draw near to each of these children and reveal Your heart of love, peace and hope to them.

God, I ask that You would draw close to the police officers, firemen, first responders and innocent bystanders who came to help, and witnessed this horrifying event.  Father, I thank you for them and I ask that you help them through the grieving process.  Would you remove any lasting effects from this trauma God?  The things they saw, I cannot imagine.  Father would you just come and hold them and help them through this?

Father, this world is in such desperate need of you today.  As we cry out for justice and mercy, may we not allow ourselves to grow bitter in our righteous anger.  Father may we, these families and all involved see Your goodness through this tragedy.  This does not change the fact that You are good Father.  Let us see and experience your goodness, your nearness in the days ahead.

*Today we are linking up a scripture and a prayer for those involved in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings.  However, if you’ve already written your post, and it is scripture with encouragement, please still link up.  God’s Word will not return void.  However, any posts that do not meet the spirit of prayer and encouragement with scripture will be deleted.  I want to be sensitive to what I feel the Holy Spirit is asking me to do.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0Share on StumbleUpon0

Receive The Daily Brew updates by email!
* = required field

Comments

Barbie, thank you for your beautiful prayer. My heart aches in so many ways, and yet, I’ve been struggling with words to pray. I posted the Scripture that has been going through my mind since I heard the news yesterday. It’s been a blessing to me.

In Christ,
    Laura
    Laura Rath recently posted..When There Are No Words

I have been so heartbroken through all of this…I cannot even begin to imagine the depths of pain and grief the families and the community are feeling. I am a mother and a school teacher. Something like this just shatters me. I am praying so hard for the families, the rescue workers, the community, and the country. Your prayer was so beautiful. Thank you for this opportunity to share.
    Amanda recently posted..Praying…

• Barbie says

Amanda, my heart is broken. Whenever I think about it, I cry. I am reliving 911 all over again, yet this seems so much more horrific, I think because of the children. My heart breaks. I too have children. They attend public school. I just cannot wrap my brain around this. Thank you for expressing your heart!

• Barbie says

Thank you Kris. This scripture really spoke to me. More than anything, I want that Jesus would draw near, that those who are suffering so much loss would feel His nearness.

Agreeing with you in this beautiful prayer.
    Isaiah 61:1
    The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound.
    Love and prayers,
    Laurie
    Laurie Collett recently posted..Were the Mayans Right?

Hi Barbie! I’m new to your site and to linking up with you. (I hope you’ll find my linked up posts encouraging and apt for your blog theme). I’m awed by all the loveliness on your blog!

The Lord Jesus is what the world really needs. This Christmas, we not only celebrate Jesus but also, like the star who guided the Magi, guide the unsaved to Him.
    Rina Peru recently posted..When God is Silent

Good Morning Barbie….
    I’ve been behind lately, just stopping by. Thank you for the lovely scripture photo and your prayer of the heart. We often shared Matthew 28:20 with ‘our’ kids….Jesus says he is with us always. Isn’t it good to know that we are never alone? Even in the most difficult of circumstances.
    Blessings on you, my friend.
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..{Joy Day!} Comfort & Joy

Barbie- I wrote my post today before I read yours… it is funny with so many people speaking out about the tragic event my mind could only come back to our savior. {I hope it is okay I still linked, because He is the only answer to all this mess, and He is my prayer right now.} Your words were beautiful!
    Lisa recently posted..The Gift to count

Trackbacks