Unexpected Simplicity and a Blog Break

sharing glimpses of His love & sprinkles of His grace

Unexpected Simplicity and a Blog Break

By Barbie   /     Dec 21, 2012  /     Writing & Blogging  /

Today I have the privilege of guest posting over at Stephanie Page’s blog.  I am sharing about my journey of unexpected simplicity.  I hope that you will head over and read.

This has been a hard month for myself, as well as my family.  If you’ve read my blog for any length of time, you know that my husband is struggling with unemployment, which has been ongoing for the better part of the last three years.  I’ve tried to remain strong — holding it together, keeping the faith, looking toward the future with hope, and resting in His promises.  But with the holidays right around the corner (literally), I’ve been struggling to find joy in the midst of it all.  I share in my guest post of how this season of unexpected simplicity is causing me to lean in closer to God, to hug my family tighter and to allow myself to be filled with the wonders of His love.  Yet still, I struggle with the things that are beyond my control.  I struggle with not being able to do all that I want to do for my family.  I struggle with God’s plan for our lives.  But even in the struggle, I know that God is good and that His ways are perfect.

Over the last few weeks as I’ve strived to write, to express my heart and bring you hope and encouragement, I’ve heard God whisper to my heart to step away.  I’ve never taken a blog break before, and I’ve been fighting this one.  But I know that much of the sadness that I am feeling at times over my situation is because God is calling me closer. I have so many unmet needs in the physical that only through focusing my attention on Him will those needs be met.  He is asking me to step away and pour myself into Him, into my family and into myself (not in a self-absorbed way). I’ve not been sleeping well and I am allowing stress and at times worry to cause physical issues in my body.

I need rest.  I need to be still.  I need to refocus.

So for the next couple of weeks, I will be stepping away from writing here, as I fix my eyes on Jesus, love on my family and gain physical, emotional and spiritual strength for my continued journey.  I cannot do this in my own strength and lately I feel as if I am striving, not just here but in all aspects of my life.

I am looking forward to returning on Monday, January 7th as I share with you my thoughts for the New Year.  If you normally join me for Fresh Brewed Sundays, I will not be posting this week. I may peek at your blogs here and there.  Reading the words you share always fill my heart with hope and joy.

So thank you, my sweet friends, for your constant encouragement in my life.  I am praying that you have a blessed Christmas filled with the love, joy and peace of the Lord.

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
(Isaiah 9:6)

I’ll see you next year!

About Barbie

I am wife and mom to four beautiful children. I have been marked by the love of a relentless God who never stops pursuing me. My desire is to encourage you on your own journey, giving you glimpses of His love and sprinkles of His grace along the way.

1. Rosann Says: December 21, 2012 8:13 am

Barbie, please take every moment of this time away from blogging to nurture your own weary soul with the love and truth from the One who knows exactly how you’re feeling. Dig into His word like never before. Pray, Feel, Listen, and Cry. And friend, just breathe… rest in His arms and breathe. He’s carrying you right now, so snuggle in and feel His love. He’s there. Wishing you a joyous Christmas as you and your family reflect and celebrate the true meaning of faith and life, our Savior. Love you! Merry Christmas…Happy New Year…and see you soon!
    Rosann recently posted..Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and a Blogging Vacation

2. Lisa Says: December 21, 2012 8:16 am

Sorry to hear the struggles upon you and praying for a sweet and purposeful time of rest and refocus while you are away. I know those times have always been good for me!
    Lisa recently posted..A FREE Printable Planner for Women Like You

3. Venessa Says: December 21, 2012 8:23 am

I will miss reading your words but totally understand! You know where to find me if you need to chat. Will be thinking of you and wishing you the blessings that this season offers. Take care of yourself and I look forward to the New year!!

4. Jennifer {StudioJRU} Says: December 21, 2012 8:27 am

Praying this break is wonderful and restful and peaceful and relaxing and rejuvenating! Merry Christmas! See you in the new year!! xo
    Jennifer {StudioJRU} recently posted..door decor {creative christmas}.

5. Jennifer peterson Says: December 21, 2012 8:34 am

Breaks are always good:) Praying for you and I pray you will come back feeling refreshed and renewed!! Merry Christmas Barbie to you and your family!! BTW love the new profile picture on twitter… you hot momma!!
    Jennifer peterson recently posted..

6. Child of God Says: December 21, 2012 8:45 am

Dear sister,
    You will be missed. I love reading what you have to say and I love seeing God work in and through your life.
    I pray you have a good, restful, God filled break and He speaks clearly to you. I pray you have a wonderful Christmas despite the financial circumstances that surround you and your family. I know God is providing and He will continue to provide for you. I pray God will provide a full time, steady job for your husband and this stress will be removed.

As you rest in Him, know you are being covered in prayer.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Child of God recently posted..Winter Wonderland

7. Jen Says: December 21, 2012 9:14 am

Have a blessed break, my friend! And may God rest, restore, renew, & rejuvenate you dear friend! May His peace wash over you like a gentle spring & His ever present presence abide with you as you rest in His heart & awaken with new life!
    Jen recently posted..7 Steps to Savoring the Season. Wizard of Oz Style.

8. Mia Says: December 21, 2012 10:09 am

Oh, dear Barbie, I wish one could email hugs for sometimes one needs love with a bit of flesh around. But you know my heart and wishes are with you all. Go rest in your Pappa’s Loving Embrace. See you next year.
    Much love
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..Simeon’s Truth

9. Mia Says: December 21, 2012 10:10 am

Oh, dear Barbie, I wish one could email hugs for sometimes one needs love with a bit of flesh around. But you know my heart and wishes are with you all. Go rest in your Pappa’s Loving Embrace. Thank you for serving us all so faithfully this year through your blog. See you next year!

Much love
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..Simeon’s Truth

10. Emma Says: December 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Have a wonderful week! Your blog is wonderful!

Merry Christmas,
    Emma
    Emma recently posted..Christmas Playlist

11. susan@avintagefarmwife Says: December 22, 2012 7:16 am

Oh, Barbie. I had no idea that you were dealing with all of this. It really puts a face on the horrible economy and its effects on real people-real families. Praying for an extra measure of strength and wisdom for both you and your husbands and that someone gives you a big hug -please consider it to be from them, and from me. Enjoy your break and rest in His goodness!
    susan@avintagefarmwife recently posted..Sugar, Anyone?

12. Dolly@Soulstops Says: December 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Dear Barbie,

Yes, my friend, you are wise to follow His lead and rest your weary soul…I will be praying for you to rest and for your husband’s job situation…that can be so stressful…let Him love you and let Him nurture you body, soul and spirit….hugs, my friend :) Feel free to keep me posted so I know how to pray.
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..On what Mary teaches us about change

13. Carol Says: December 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Dear Barbie,
    Your were in my thoughts as I ran errands this afternoon. I prayed for you and your family. May this break be a time of refreshment. You are a blessing to many–may you experience God’s love and peace.
    Carol recently posted..Christmas Rose

14. Stephani Says: December 22, 2012 4:42 pm

We will miss you! I know all too well what you are going through. Living a life of simplicity for me started because of necessity, but I have found the desire to choose simplicity and wouldn’t have it any other way. There is joy in the stripping away of the unnecessary and even when it comes under circumstances of duress you can find it there. Love you and appreciate your faithful comments to my blog. You are a blessing to so many. I am praying for you this season and will continue to. (Still planning to email you about my story.) Grace and peace . . . .
    Stephani recently posted..Joy

15. colleen @ thegiftofmondays Says: December 22, 2012 5:58 pm

leaning closer to God is always a good thing. somehow the stripping away of everything else and drawing closer to Him brings refreshment and energy to keep moving forward in a world we often feel that we’re falling behind in. it’s funny how our to-do list doesn’t always have anything to-do with Him. that’s me. i want to live for Him and yet i fill-completely fill-my days with so much that takes me away from Him. you are right to walk away for a moment. to take a break. to catch your breath. to draw closer.

i wish you a Merry Christmas. and i pray this break finds you resting in His care and enjoying His presence.

16. Marty Says: December 23, 2012 5:17 am

He is our Sabbath rest…may you enjoy your break and return to share His glory with a refreshed and joyful heart and mind!
    Marty recently posted..Party Favors

17. Lea Says: December 23, 2012 6:03 pm

Oh, Barbie, I pray this time away will be a time of refreshing and renewal for your mind, body and soul. I am so, so sorry that you have to go through such a tough, tough season but you have been such an inspiration through it all. May the Lord hold you close, squeeze you tightly and give you the peace that only He can give. Sending hugs your way!
    Lea recently posted..A Southern Christmas Affair ……..

18. Debbie Says: December 24, 2012 5:52 am

Barbie, as you know, I’ve been there. This is the time to lean on the Lord fully. He is the God of the impossible situations; nothing is too hard for Him. I have to say I learned so much through the difficult times. It is a time to feast on the Lord alone. I will continue praying for you my friend.

Merry Christmas! We all need to get back to simplicity and to focus on the reason we celebrate Christmas and remember Jesus.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Merry Christmas

19. Diane | An Extraordinary Day Says: December 24, 2012 6:32 am

Barbie, my heart goes out to you. I know the path on which you walk. You may have picked up on it in some of my early posts. June ’09 we both lost our jobs and the partnership of an amazing ministry. Oct ’11 we moved to a new state, a new denomination, and a new job for my husband. So grateful. Yet, God took us to the very end before he said yes to this which we now know. Though journey may be a bit different…I am here to help you shoulder the burden. I won’t push in where I’m not needed…but don’t hesitate to e-mail me.
    Praying God’s rest, peace, and joy this Christmas. And for the storehouse doors to open in the New Year…with blessings so unimaginable, you won’t be able to contain it. {Hugs!}
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day recently posted..{Joy Day!} This Incredible Display of Love

• Barbie Says: December 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Oh Diane, I am grateful so share this journey with you. I will need to go back and read some of your earlier posts to see what it is God has done for you. Thankful for you my friend!

20. Dalia Says: December 24, 2012 9:55 am

Barbie, I’m right there with you. I feel his call which is why I also am taking a little time off . You know there is a blessing behind each struggle, each hardship…you will be guided my friend. Blessings to you and yours and may you have a Blessed Merry Christmas.