21 Day Fast: Week 3 {Challenges}

Here I am at week three of my fast.  Just five more days left.  I truly wanted to “step up” my game this week, but instead I find myself backing off just a little bit.  I’ve been faced with some challenges this week, which has frustrated me to no end, but I keep reminding myself that the Lord looks at the heart.  I have to believe that He is pleased with me and that nothing I’ve done is in vain.

Challenge #1 – Lack of Finances.

It’s very hard to fast when you have limited financial resources to buy the food that you need, in order to keep yourself from indulging in the foods you are supposed to be fasting from.  The first week I was able to stock up on fruits and vegetables, but this week, well nada.  As the wife of an unemployed husband, sometimes I simply have to make do and eat what I have.  For a minute or two I considered a water fast for this last week, but I knew it was not wisdom from the Lord.  So what I did to adapt this week was add chicken to my diet, and a few healthy, whole grains.  It hasn’t been perfect.  I’ve messed up a couple of times, beat myself up a little bit, but climbed back on the wagon.

Challenge #2 – Sick.

I got hit with a nasty head cold shortly after my post last week, so for the most part, I felt like crude this week.  And then it got hard.  When I don’t feel good, and my head is not in the game, I make poor choices and tend to want to “feed my emotions”, thinking it will make me feel better.  So last week was a little bit of a slippery slope, but I endured.

The Good.

I have had some sweet times with the Lord this past week.  I am still struggling to get out of bed after the 2nd alarm goes off in the morning, but I’ve been staying up late, reading the Word and worshipping along with the International House of Prayer web stream. My son is attending an internship there and sits in the Prayer Room from midnight to 6AM, Kansas City time.  So, while I watch the stream hoping to catch a glimpse of my son, I pray, worship and am encouraged through the spontaneous songs that come out of the prayer room straight from the heart of God.  I have had some amazing encounters with the Lord during these times of prayer.

Another good, but hard, thing is that the Lord has begun to bring to light a few things that need to be worked on in our family.  I would consider this an answer to prayer, a little bit of the breakthrough that I’ve been hoping and praying for, so this is a good thing.

What I’ve Learned.

I wasn’t as prepared mentally, spiritually or physically as I could have been for this fast.  Fasting is not something to be taken lightly, without first coming before the Lord and asking for His will.  This is not something new to me, but I don’t feel as if I sought the Lord for His perfect will in this fast.  I had some of my own “issues” I brought before Him, and He honored those desires, but I feel I may have missed a portion of His blessing.

Overall, I am not disappointed.  Fasting is something that I get to perfect my entire life.  It takes time to build spiritual fasting muscles.  Mine aren’t quite there, but each time they get a little stronger.  There are a lot of things in me that I need to allow the Lord to weed out if I am ever going to be successful in fasting.  I want fasting to become a “lifestyle”, not something that I do religiously, or something that I do because I think I am supposed to.  I want to set aside time every week to fast and pray, to get God’s heart for not only my own needs, but the needs of those around me.

Next week, I plan to share my weight loss goals as I begin the next chapter in my journey towards health.

Join me!

Barbie

I am wife, mom to 4 beautiful children, sister, daughter and friend. I have been marked by the love of a relentless God who never stops pursuing me. My desire is to encourage you on your journey, giving you glimpses of His love and sprinkles of His grace along the way.
Join me!

Comments

Barbie, these are big challenges. I can sure relate to having big obstacles in the path of my spiritual goal. As I’ve mentioned, my focus this year is on encouraging others. So I was in a great mood and was ready to encourage my doctor and nurse–only to have him give me a cancer scare (it turned out to be nothing). Then my best friends let me down and I got the flu. You just have to laugh! It’s taken me a few weeks, but I am ready to encourage again. I know the Lord looks at our heart. You have a heart to fast. It doesn’t matter what you actually eat. Hang in there, lady!
    Melanie Wilson @theinspiredday recently posted..Believe You Can

Barbie, we’ve all had setbacks in goals we’ve set for ourselves. I think you’ll be blessed to choose a smaller goal that you know you can attain. You can always build up. Maybe this week join the Weekly Challenge just doing one small exercise and one small food goal??? Or set something similar for yourself? You are going to succeed Friend!!!
    Kim | At Home With Kim recently posted..Weigh-In Wednesday: NEW Weekly Challenge

• Barbie says

I’m going to try my best to do the exercise challenge. Honestly thought, I have to work all day, so I will be trying to do it at night. Lord help me!

I hate to admit this but I’ve never actually done a fast. So bravo to you Barbie. I know your intentions and your heart are good. I like what Kim wrote in the comment above. I always think of baby steps; one step at a time. Think of healthy habits. At least that’s what I do.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Weigh-In Wednesday ~ Challenge

Great job Barbie and I know when things come into our lives it makes it hard to keep going, but with Gods help you did!! Praying your feeling better those colds/flu going around are awful!!
    Jennifer Peterson recently posted..One year

• Barbie says

Oh Ashley, thank you for encouraging me. So grateful to share community with you in blogging. Heading over to your place!

Even with setbacks it sounds like you tried your hardest and learned Barbie, that is what counts!! Set up some good small goals for yourself, you can do this. I love that you got in some whole grains this week, that’s a great step forward in a healthy lifestyle change. Have a great rest of the week and I hope you are feeling better!
    Aggie recently posted..Orange-Vanilla Greek Yogurt Pancakes (Whole Grain)

Barbie! You have done well, my friend! Your words are encouraging & motivating to kep moving no matter what obstacles come our way! I might be a little partial, but yet you are my hero!

• Barbie says

Oh friend, you are too kind! Of course, I always think I could be doing something more to do better. I hope you are feeling better!

Hi Barbie, Nice to “meet” you too. Thank you for your encouragement. We are on this journey together. I’m so glad I am also reading the book I mentioned on my blog. Winning the Battle of the Bulge is a lot more than food. I must desire God more than food…. when I am tempted I need to turn to my Lord… and when I am discouraged I need to turn to the God of hope instead of food for comfort. Yes, it is going to be a life long battle, but it will be worth it because I on the winning team! We can do it!

Feel free to visit my website too…http://www.beelieveyoucan.net/
    Michele recently posted..Weigh-In-Wednesdays

• Barbie says

Hi Michele! That book reminds me so much of Made to Crave, which I read over the summer. It’s all about replacing my cravings for food with God. I am an emotional eater, but know that with God I can do this!