Faith

In Boldness And Confidence I Come

January 6, 2013

Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

Confidence.  It’s something I’ve struggled with my entire life.  As a young girl, I lacked the confidence I needed to interact openly with others, to speak my mind, or to share my thoughts.  I walked with head bowed low and had a hard time looking others in the eye.  Eyes are the windows to the soul, or so I’ve been told.  I certainly didn’t want anyone seeing inside of me — to the filth, the dirt, the darkness or the shame.

Then He spoke to me, like a whisper in the night, and He beckoned me to come.

But I wondered how one such as me could approach such a holy God.  I was most certainly not without spot or wrinkle and I had not yet been encountered by His love.  Yet still He drew me.  And I yearned for Him, to know Him, to feel His touch.  I longed to be washed clean, made whole, and without sin.

I stood that day, and with heart trembling and knees shaking I approached the Throne of Grace, and asked for His mercy to come.  Although I didn’t feel bold at the time, I was overtaken by a confidence I had never known before — This was my God, my Lord, my Savior — and He loved me.  He called me by name and said that I could come boldly, with confidence, assured of His love.

I am still learning to boldly come, but I am thankful that I took those first shaky steps many years ago and bowed low so that He could pick me up from the ashes. In fear and trembling I came, and with boldness and confidence I come.  I freely receive His grace and mercy today, and with confidence and boldness I give this same grace and mercy to others.

What comes to your mind when you read this scripture?  Will you share in the comments below, or write a post and link up over at Girl Meets Paper today!

(photo credit)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Christina January 7, 2013 at 3:58 am

What a neat link up–talking about the same verse. And this one in Hebrews is a favorite! Because of Jesus, I can stand before the throne just as I am. Amazing grace!
    Christina recently posted..The Perfect Gift

• Reply Barbie January 7, 2013 at 8:52 am

I love reading all of the different takes on the verse, how it is personal to each individual. So thankful for His amazing grace!

• Reply Jane Graham January 7, 2013 at 7:38 am

Barbie, You bless us by sharing your heart with such transparency. I’m sure there are so many women who have felt the same way and are in tears reading about how God powerfully transformed your life! Your victory over feelings of shame and darkness are a wonderful testimony of the wide, wide love and mercy of our God. Thank you for linking up today! I so enjoy your writing!
    Jane Graham recently posted..Monday Morning Meditation: Hebrews 4:16

• Reply Barbie January 7, 2013 at 8:53 am

Thank you Jane, for helping me to write, but taking me to His Word, so that I can ponder all that He’s done for me!

• Reply Jennifer peterson January 7, 2013 at 8:01 am

Awww so beautiful and lovely!! What a beautiful heart you have and thank you for sharing. Love you
    Jennifer peterson recently posted..Come

• Reply Barbie January 7, 2013 at 8:54 am

Thank you for allowing me to share my life with you!

• Reply Beth @ My Destiny January 7, 2013 at 8:47 am

You are just so precious my friend. I can’t imagine what a sweet blessing you are to the Lord. <3

• Reply Barbie January 7, 2013 at 8:54 am

Awe, thank you my sweet friend. It is my desire to touch His heart.

• Reply Jen January 7, 2013 at 9:02 am

This is so beautiful Barbie. So clean, pure, so transparent….these words themselves. I love how you can share your heart so freely & connect with others and God while doing so! Great new photo of you also! Sorry I missed Weekend Brew. Hope to catch it next Friday! Have a blessed week, my friend! ~ jen
    Jen recently posted..A Year in 180 Photos. And When Our Foster Daughter Leaves.

• Reply Barbie January 7, 2013 at 9:14 am

Thank you Jen. Ha ha, that is an “old” new photo of me. I really need to get a nice, new headshot done. I am so behind in catching up with everyone. Hope to stop by your place soon!

• Reply Venessa January 7, 2013 at 9:58 am

I love this…I am too someone who struggles with confidence and knowing that I am loved in spite of how I may feel about myself can be a hard pill to swallow. It is an amazing gift that we are given…grace, love, peace, forgiveness…we just have to say yes!

• Reply Barbie January 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I love it Venessa. Saying “yes” right along with you!

• Reply Mia January 7, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Dear Barbie
    Reading your post made me notice how we all came from a place of brokenness. We all seem to be like Jacob with a limp after He had wrestled with God. It makes me think that Pappa truly needs to take away our own strength, before we will draw near to receive His mercy, grace and love. Thank you for your honesty. It makes it so much easier for others to bare our hearts as well!
    Much love, dear one
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..The Throne of Grace

• Reply Barbie January 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm

You are a constant encourager of my heart! Thank you!

• Reply Jamie January 7, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Oh, Barbie… I have goosebumps upon goosebumps right now. I’m so very thankful that Jesus takes our shame away, so very far away! I think that we need to be in a place of humility (down on our faces, wallowing in our sin) before He can lift us up. THAT’S when you get to approach the throne boldly. And now, you know who you are and Who you belong to!

• Reply Barbie January 7, 2013 at 8:43 pm

AMEN Jamie! I agree totally!

• Reply denise January 7, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Really like this.
    denise recently posted..Monday Morning Meditation

• Reply Barbie January 7, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Thank you Denise!

• Reply Tammy Perlmutter January 8, 2013 at 9:51 am

Hi Barbie, I’m glad I found your blog sometime ago, and got to meet you online, I’ve had it bookmarked for awhile. What you write is meaningful and encouraging to others. Your story brings hope to those who share your struggle and desire for healing. Thanks for continuing to write and add inspiring content to the web. I’ve nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award. If you’d like, you can go to my blog and claim your nomination. http://bit.ly/SidLJX
    Keep writing!
    ~ Tammy

• Reply Barbie January 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thank you Tammy. I’ll pop over and leave a note on your blog!

• Reply Stefanie Brown January 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Oh, the truth and emotion in your words. As we’ve already established, we are kindred! I could have easily have penned this words, my friend!

Thank you for being so real and vulnerable. I truly appreciate your honest heart.
    Stefanie Brown recently posted..My One Word 2013 ~ Prayer {Full Length Version}…

• Reply Barbie January 9, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thank you my dear friend!

• Reply Lisa Grace January 8, 2013 at 7:44 pm

That verse always inspires me. It challenges me to walk confidently — a reminder that my shame no longer separates me from God and that grace is greater than all my sin. I love that passage!
    Lisa Grace recently posted..An Apology to You

• Reply Barbie January 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm

So perfect — shame no longer separates me from God and grace is greater than my sin!

• Reply Angie @ A Blooming Spirit January 9, 2013 at 8:24 am

I always love reading your posts…I feel blessed with the words you write and I always feel calm.
    Angie @ A Blooming Spirit recently posted..embracing the quiet light of God

• Reply Barbie January 9, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Thank you Angie!

• Reply Kelli January 10, 2013 at 6:38 am

Beautiful my friend!! I really needed to hear this. I lack the confidence to boldly approach my God, my Father. You have given me courage 😉