Faith

When One Word Becomes A Life Goal

January 10, 2013

Words.  They tend to come easy for me, most of the time. But this one, I struggled to find it.  I prayed, asked and pounded on the door of heaven.  I didn’t want to be left out, to be the one left without a focus.  But perhaps it was not His will, so I resolved myself to the idea that perhaps He was leading me down a different path.

Isn’t that how God works?  When we surrender and cease from our striving, when we rest and put it all in His hands, He speaks.  At least that’s when we can hear Him the best.

It wasn’t a loud answer.  I was not awakened by a dream, nor did a light bulb go on in my head.  There was nothing that led me here, except the still small voice of the One who breathed it into my spirit.  You see, I had to slow down, to be still, so that I could clearly hear.  One night as I lay in my bed, resolving once again that I would move on from the One Word focus and let it be, it came.  But what I heard at first was not one word, but a string of words that are now resonating in my heart to become more than I ever thought it would.

In the darkness of the night He came, with His light, and spoke His words to my heart:

Simply love
Simply live
Simply give

I knew at that moment the Lord had dropped one word into my heart, an adverb, that took nouns to complete them.  But I fought this word that came to me in the night.  Lord, you surely mean simplify, for you know how I desire to clear the clutter in my life.”  But the Lord spoke, “No, My Daugther, simply.”  At that moment I realized that the Lord was calling me to a way of living, a lifestyle, as simply resonated in my spirit and wedged its way deep into my heart.

I continue to ask God for revelation on how to walk out this journey.  But here is what I know so far:

To simply love is learning to love without expectations,
and learning to be loved, knowing there are no strings attached.

To simply live is to enjoy life to the fullest, breathing in the freshness of each new day,
and opening my eyes to see the beauty in every moment.

To simply give is to allow God to use me, just as I am, right where I am,
realizing that I have much to give.

Just last week I was pondering the thought that perhaps this little word would become more of a life focus for me, at least for this season.  And then I was surprised to receive an email from a fellow blogger letting me know that this handmade item was coming my way:

I laughed, I cried, and I thanked Him for bringing confirmation to my heart as I embraced this journey.

Simply – to simply love, simply live and simply give.

I am linked up with Bonnie today as we share about our One Word.  Won’t you join us?

FaithBaristaLLogo2

You Might Also Like

• Reply Child of God January 10, 2013 at 10:16 am

Wow, what a thoughtful blogger. :)

Life lived simply reminds me of Mica 6:8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Blessings,
    Child of God recently posted..Divine Healing

• Reply Barbie January 10, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Oh yes, that’s a perfect scripture. Love you friend!

• Reply Cherry January 10, 2013 at 10:38 am

Visiting from Faith Barista Jam – and so glad I came by! I love your “word” for 2013. I may need to copy and paste it, and your explanation about it, into my journal. Good thoughts to think on … thanks!
    Cherry recently posted..The Heart of a Mother {Forever Close #1)

• Reply Barbie January 10, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Cherry, yes, please do! Thank you so much for stopping by. I will head over to pay you a visit!

• Reply Mia January 10, 2013 at 11:45 am

Dearest Barbie
    When I read this I got goosebumps for I also asked Pappa for a word and all I heard was “in Christ”. I thought this could not be right for I asked for one word and I heard two … so I shrugged it of. Now with your few words, it is confirmation that my two words were indeed from Pappa! Thank you sooo… much, my friend. Yes, for me it is to learn only to live in Jesus … to abide in Him, allowing Him to live His life in me!
    Bless you, dear one with an extra blessing XX
    Mia

• Reply Barbie January 15, 2013 at 12:24 am

Oh yes, my friend, “in Christ”. I love that God brought you confirmation through my few words! Be blessed as you continue abiding in Him!

• Reply Jennifer Peterson January 10, 2013 at 12:32 pm

What a blessing and I thought of you today while in Target! Weird I know but you came to mind and I thought of how your word is simply and 8 am so glad we are simply friends;) you didn’t have to e-mail me back but you did, you didn’t have to respond to any comments but you did!! You simply loved me! Thank you!
    Jennifer Peterson recently posted..hold onto God’s love….

• Reply Jennifer peterson January 10, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Weird that I thought of you in the middle of target…. Not weird that I thought of you:)
      Jennifer peterson recently posted..hold onto God’s love….

• Reply Barbie January 15, 2013 at 12:25 am

:) I am blessed that you would think of me anywhere you go! I love that God has brought us together though blogging!

• Reply Dawn St Amand Paoletta January 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm

SO good! Rejoicing in the confirmation with you! What a beautiful piece!
    Dawn St Amand Paoletta recently posted..When Your New Year Slaps You Upside Your Head

• Reply Barbie January 15, 2013 at 12:26 am

Thanks Dawn!

• Reply Carol Hatcher January 10, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I love how God orchestrates so many details to create defining moments in our life. :) I’m so glad you like it.

• Reply Barbie January 15, 2013 at 12:26 am

Carol, such a gift. I feel as if I’m walking around wearing my purpose! Hugs!

• Reply Sheryl January 10, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I love how God speaks when we stop demanding his voice. Simply is a fantastic word–and I like the way you unpack it. May your journey into Simply be more wonderful than you can imagine.
    Sheryl recently posted..One Word 2013

• Reply Barbie January 15, 2013 at 12:28 am

Thank you Sheryl! I appreciate your visit!

• Reply Leann January 11, 2013 at 6:35 am

I love it! Thank you for visiting my blog. I’m having the best time reading everyone’s “one word” posts.
    Leann recently posted..Faith Jam Thursday

• Reply Barbie January 15, 2013 at 12:28 am

Me too Leann! So much fun reading!

• Reply Lisa notes January 11, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I love this word, Barbie! If we would all return to “simply”, our lives would be more loving, I really believe. I’ll look forward to seeing how the Lord works this out through you this year.
    Lisa notes recently posted..My First Daybook of 2013 – January

• Reply Barbie January 15, 2013 at 12:28 am

Thank you Lisa. Grateful to have you along on the journey!

• Reply Cynthia January 11, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Hello!
    Love the word you chose. It defines how we should live…”Simply.” When we take a good look at are busy lives, we realize that we are are doing everything, except living “Simply” in His love. Thanks, for dropping by my blog. Glad to have found you! ~Cynthia
    Cynthia recently posted..One Word for 2013: JOY

• Reply Barbie January 15, 2013 at 12:29 am

Grateful you stopped by Cynthia!

• Reply Karen G January 14, 2013 at 8:21 pm

This is so lovely. One of my dearest sayings is “live simply so that others may simply live.” Perhaps it will resonate with you at some point this year in some way. It was part of a week long mission trip I went on where we worked to simplify and be simple in our living. Great stuff. I wish you simply the best!
    Karen G recently posted..Seek: What Will I Find?

• Reply Barbie January 15, 2013 at 12:30 am

Thank you Karen. Yes, that quote, “live simply so that others may simply live” resonates in my heart. I am pondering that that means for me.

• Reply Kelli January 14, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Barbie, your word/words today are so deeply profound and so simply written. 😉 You have such a gift of encouraging and inspiring a soul to just breathe in His beauty and truth. Loved this: “Isn’t that how God works? When we surrender and cease from our striving, when we rest and put it all in His hands, He speaks. At least that’s when we can hear Him the best.” This is SO unbelievably true my friend! Once we finally surrender, then and only then can we hear Him… this is how I found my word also. Ask my poor husband who was on the search with me… word after word after word until finally I came to the same conclusion as yours and then it came in the night: Live. It is of course growing into more than what I thought it meant for me, but into what He meant it for me.

Amazing, what a blessing you are…

• Reply Barbie January 15, 2013 at 12:32 am

I love how God also brought your word in the night season, when we had nearly given up, yet when we surrendered, there it was. I love our our words are so closely intertwined, yours to “live” and mine with “simply” — together we shall “simply live” for Him! Love you my friend!

• Reply Sam @ Sam's Noggin January 15, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Beautiful choice, story and gift!!

• Reply denise January 15, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Great word.
    denise recently posted..One Word Monthly Link-Up 2013

• Reply Sheila January 16, 2013 at 10:32 am

Barbie, Thank you so much for sharing this post with me. Love love love it! Makes my heart sing when I hear how sisters in Christ let themselves be still, still and open to the Holy Spirit. So Awesome!!
    Thanks to for commenting on E2g, it’s such huge encouragement to hear from readers.
    Much love,