My 5 Minute Fridays

A Breathtaking View! {Five Minute Friday}

May 23, 2013

My view or perception of myself is often far from how my Heavenly Father sees me.

When I look at myself, I see my imperfections — the extra weight that’s been hanging on for the last 10 years, a head of hair with gray peeking through, hands with wrinkles in them (yes I am nearing 50 – in a few years) and everything negative.

I often wonder what it is that God sees when He looks at me.  When He bends over the balcony of heaven, and glances my way, what is His view?

I imagine God having a chat with the angels as He proclaims,

Look, do you see here?  There she is.  My Chosen One.  My Beloved. I delight in her. She doesn’t realize yet how much she’s loved.  But I am working on her heart. Her view of me is skewed, from much pain and hurt, but I am working a healing in that heart of hers.  She will come to know and understand  my love, and she will fully embrace my view of her.  For I will open her eyes to see herself as she truly is. I want her to know how much joy she brings to my heart.  I want her to know that she was perfectly hand crafted and placed on the earth for such a time as this. Oh, just look at my Daughter.  What a breathtaking view!

What is it that you think God sees when He looks at you?  Do you know that His view of you is filled with so much joy and pleasure?  For you are His Daughter and He delights in you!

Five Minute Friday

You Might Also Like

• Reply Rachael AKA Mommy LCSW May 23, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! How beautiful. Oh, if we could only see ourselves through God’s eyes. It’s so much easier to see others with this grace than to apply it to ourselves. Simply beautiful.
    Rachael AKA Mommy LCSW recently posted..5 Minute Friday: View (through a child’s eyes)

• Reply Barbie May 23, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Thank you, Rachael. It is so much easier to view others in the same light that God views them. Have a beautiful weekend.

• Reply Kacey May 23, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Wow, I almost wrote about something similar but didn’t have the courage to put it out there. I love that you did. So glad to be stopping by from #FMFParty.
    Kacey recently posted..Five Minute Friday: View

• Reply Kacey May 23, 2013 at 9:58 pm

By the way, I forgot to say that I love the idea of adding scripture and your web address to the image. I hadn’t thought of doing that for FMF.
      Kacey recently posted..Five Minute Friday: View

• Reply Barbie May 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Thanks for stopping by Kacey. It takes me an extra few minutes to add the photos, but I just can’t do a post without one! Have a beautiful weekend!

• Reply Dolly@Soulstops May 23, 2013 at 10:02 pm

You are beautiful, Barbie :) Stunning photo…your daughter’s wedding? As I read your words, I thought of a book I’m reading, Emotionally Healthy Spirituality by Peter Scazzero…loving it…I finished his devotional, The Daily Office, and loved it, and it drew heavily from his other book, the one I’m currently reading…Blessings, my friend :)
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Five Minute Fridays: What’s Your Dream View?

• Reply Barbie May 23, 2013 at 10:25 pm

No, this picture is a stock photo. I didn’t even think of using one from my daughter’s wedding. . Those books you are reading sound interesting. I will have to look them up! Have a beautiful weekend my friend!

• Reply Dolly@Soulstops May 24, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Hi Barbie,
        I think you would really enjoy them because they talk about what you write about here..about how past pain affects how we view ourselves and how we view how God views us…It has been a blessing to me…if you get it, maybe we can talk about it together :)
        Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Five Minute Fridays: What’s Your Dream View?

• Reply Rebekah May 23, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Barbie! This made me catch my breath and tear up. What a beautiful reminder. I’m far too long in your first sentance – so far off from how God sees me and so wrapped up in ALL my imperfections. What an amazing reminder of the shaping of His love. Bless you this weekend, friend! And thanks for the hi and hello to my last minute mad dash in the door at the FMF party :)
    Rebekah recently posted..Five Minute Friday: View

• Reply Barbie May 23, 2013 at 10:29 pm

His view of you is a beautiful one. I pray you have a blessed weekend and that He will draw you in close and show you a glimpse of how He sees you!

• Reply Jennifer May 23, 2013 at 10:16 pm

This is such a beautiful post! “The balcony of heaven” I love it!!! Have a wonderful weekend. Oh, and by the way, you ARE His chose one, beautiful on the inside AND out. Don’t worry about the extra weight or graying hair. Worry about who you have been ordained to be: A daughter of the King. You are beautiful!
    Jennifer recently posted..Enjoy Your View

• Reply Barbie May 23, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Oh Jennifer, than you so much for your encouragement! Have a beautiful weekend.

• Reply Alyssa Santos May 24, 2013 at 1:05 am

Barbie – this message is so important, so life changing. We need to remember that God sees each of us this way and when we view others through his love goggles, then we can more freely love them the way he loves us. I wonder why we persist in being so hard on ourselves (aren’t all women brutal in our self-talk?) when we have a God who lavishes so much love on us? Bless you and this message. I hope it speaks right into the hearts of many who need this truth to shine into the dark places.

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Thank you so much Alyssa! Even though this revelation came to me on Mother’s Day, I know it’s a message for all women for every day. So many struggle with their identity. Have a lovely weekend.

• Reply Heather May 24, 2013 at 3:30 am

I so appreciate your super sweet words over at my post. :)
    Lovely one you have here. He does delight in us!!
    To answer your question at the end – I actually just wrote a post a week or so ago about that … My reflection.
    You might like it. :) God had laid it on my heart for several months. Waited for just His prompting.
    It’s here:

Hope it blesses you!
    Heather

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Thank you so much Heather for sharing that post. It truly blessed me!

• Reply denise May 24, 2013 at 3:36 am

Thinking alike today sweet, beautiful friend.
    denise recently posted..Five Minute Friday-View

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Bless you Denise!

• Reply Student Mom (Jenn) May 24, 2013 at 3:54 am

Hey Barbie. Good to see you again.
    In from FMF.
    Student Mom (Jenn) recently posted..Five Minute Friday – View

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Thank you Jenn! Have a lovely weekend.

• Reply Mia May 24, 2013 at 4:37 am

Dear sweet Barbie
    In April I turned 50 and let me assure you that it is a well-matured age! Love it. I hear your beautiful heart, my friend, and I am asking our Pappa to allow you for just a few moments to see yourself through His eyes. I think you are such a beautiful, brave and gracious lady and I am looking through human eyes! So, friend, don’t listen to the father of lies!
    Much love
    Mia
    Mia recently posted..Valley of The Matrix

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Mia, you are a treasure! Love you my friend!

• Reply Linda Stoll May 24, 2013 at 6:05 am

Oh, Barbie … to embrace His view of me, to make it my own instead of looking through the world’s looking glass …
    Linda Stoll recently posted..My Wildlife Arena

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Yes! Amen to that!

• Reply Crystal May 24, 2013 at 6:12 am

Such a lovely, encouraging post! Love you heart, Barbie :)
    Crystal recently posted..Five Minute Friday: View

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Thanks for stopping by Crystal!

• Reply Debbie May 24, 2013 at 6:26 am

Oh Barbie, God sees your beauty. So thankful that He chose to create us and to gift us …for His glory. You’re a blessing to many, including me.

Blessings and love,
    Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Five Minute Friday ~ View

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Love you sweet Debbie!

• Reply Mel May 24, 2013 at 6:37 am

Love this…if I only I could see myself the way He sees me. Thank you for this beautiful piece of your heart today. Blessings, friend! :)
    Mel recently posted..Five-Minute Friday: View

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Mel, so thankful to take this journey with you. We will arrive!!! We will come to know and understand this truth.

• Reply Debi @ DebiStangeland.com May 24, 2013 at 8:27 am

You bet your socks that’s what He says! You ROCK and God made you gorgeous. Thank you for sharing this VERY encouraging post today. Awesome!!
    Debi @ DebiStangeland.com recently posted..Five Minute Friday: VIEW

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Love you Debi! So thankful to have found you along my journey!

• Reply Child of God May 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

Hi Barbie,
    Sometimes I just wonder why Father loves us so much. Why does He love me? Other days I see it very clearly His reasons why but then there are those other days, when I am down or have sinned or am clinging on to anger that I wonder why. He always comes in with He is love and He is bigger than my sin.
    He is so amazing, I am always left in awe of who He is.

Blessings hon,
    Child of God recently posted..Desert Prayer ~Psalm 63

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:53 pm

He is truly amazing, isn’t He? Have a blessed weekend my friend.

• Reply Amy P Boyd May 24, 2013 at 10:10 am

It is so hard for us ladies to see ourselves as He does. Thank you for reminding us that He loves us and see us as beautiful.
    Amy P Boyd recently posted..From My Front Porch {Five-Minute Friday}

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Thanks for stopping by Amy!

• Reply charis May 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

i love the song of solomon reference. beautiful reminder this morning.
    charis recently posted..it all depends on your point of view

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Charis!

• Reply Amy ~ Seasons Change May 24, 2013 at 10:51 am

I battle with my mirror image all the time but I can hear Him whispering to me how beloved I am and that becomes all that matters to me. Thank you for this gentle reminder. :)
    Amy ~ Seasons Change recently posted..5 Minute Friday: View

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:55 pm

It’s such a struggle some days. To listen to the lies and then turn to the truth. One of these days, we won’t hear the lies, will we? God is working this truth in our heart and we must come to believe it! We are chosen, treasured, beautiful!

• Reply Kelly May 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I needed the reminder of how He sees me! This is lovely!

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thank you Kelly!

• Reply Ashley May 24, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Your words are always so warm, and lovely, just like you!
    Ashley recently posted..5 Minute Friday~ View

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Thank you Ashley! Be blessed my friend!

• Reply Mary May 24, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I think we all feel like this sometimes, Barbie. But you are loved. You are amazing. You are enough! Prayers and hugs coming your way sweet friend!
    Mary recently posted..I’ve got this…5 minute Friday

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thank you Mary! Blessed to have you in my life.

• Reply Kim May 24, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Oh, if we could only see ourselves the way He sees us! Instead we focus on the minor imperfections that others might not even notice. I’ve seen it in myself as I age, the way I look for wrinkles and “silver sparkles” in my hair. Thanks for the reminder that we are beautiful in His view.
    Kim recently posted..View

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

So true Kim! Thank you for stopping by.

• Reply ~Karrilee~ May 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Oh Barbie… I love this for so many reasons – mostly because, well – I wasn’t headed in that direction but towards the end of my FMF, I found myself writing along these same lines… so I mentioned I would post tomorrow and link with you… how appropriate!

How He is so in love with you… (and me!) Yay!
    ~Karrilee~ recently posted..The View from Here… Five Minute Friday

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 7:58 pm

And I loved your post and so thankful you shared it at The Weekend Brew! Hugs!

• Reply Lauren Huss May 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Oh what a breathtaking view, indeed! Thank you for that beautiful picture of how our Heavenly Father sees us. I, too am staring down the path to 50, and don’t often like what I see in the mirror. I appreciate the reminder that what we see is not all that He sees. Bless, you Barbie!

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by Lauren! I just love your blog (now that I’ve found it)!

• Reply jennifer peterson May 24, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Oh love this, so encouraging, when God leans over the balcony of Heaven and He is delighted in us, in you. Thank you Barbie, your words bless me, love you

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Love you too, my sweet friend!

• Reply Wanda May 24, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I’ve been battling the critic these days and this is such an inspiring read for me. May each hold the truth of God’s vision of us before our minds and hearts. Have a great weekend Barbie.
    Wanda recently posted..Saying No to the Inner Critic

• Reply Barbie May 26, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Yes, my friend! Let’s keep His view in front of us.