Of Birds And Butterflies (Inspired Blogger Guest Post)

Today I am thrilled to have Wanda from The Watered Soul sharing her heart.  If you have not yet met Wanda, please make sure to stop by her blog to say hello.  She is my featured Inspired Blogger this month, and she is such a blessing!

Lessons for life can come from the most unlikely places. In an attempt to escape the rat-race of life and pry myself away from all of the expected to-do’s of work, off I went in search of solace. I knew just the perfect spot that offered water as far as the eye could see and peaceful quiet away from my normal routine. A forty-five minute drive and short walk through the woods brought me to the place I remembered from a few years ago. It was just like I remembered–a beautiful view surrounded by nature. It was among the lush greens, beautiful blue water, and the canopy of clear skies that I fully expected to hear God speak.

Wanda.3

I don’t know about you, but some days I cannot hear Him in the ho-hum of daily life. Not to say that He is not speaking but rather I am not tuned into His frequency. The volume of work, relationships, blogging, and social media all take on a louder voice than they should. And it’s in those moments that I must take a break and get back to a place of quietness.

As I sat quietly enjoying the breeze and allowing the internal discourse to be quieted by the splashing of the lake’s waves, a butterfly commanded my attention. Beautifully arrayed in yellow, it fluttered about not being hampered at all by the pretty burnt orange colored butterfly, which fluttered across the landscape nearby. Out just a little farther, a bird flew. Each one flying within the same scenic view. Adorned differently but all three were using their innate ability.

Unhindered and uninhibited, they use their wings to do the exact same thing….FLY.

The great spark of inspiration and the profound insight I sought that afternoon eluded me or so I thought. However, the lesson I was in need of most was right before my eyes in an ordinary illustrative sermon.  God has reminded me time and time again of the simple truths of the birds and butterflies. The birds and butterflies demonstrate the truths I often forget when I am in the throes of living. Perhaps you need to be reminded of them as well.

5 Little Reminders

1. Be aware and acknowledge the unique giftedness of others. For most of us, we have no problem seeing the good in others.
  2. Regardless of how many others are doing the same thing you feel called to do, whether it is blogging, writing, teaching, etc …DO IT ANYWAY. Do not allow that to be an excuse for you to not exercise your own gifts and talents.
  3.  We were made to coexist with others. The world has room enough for each of our unique voices.
  4. Even though we may have the same abilities, our expression of it is different and we have been called to use it in different areas.
  5. One person’s expression of a similar gift does not require that you suppress or silence your own.

I don’t share these lessons as one who has mastered them. In fact, they are ones I find myself fighting to hold onto the most. It’s hard not to become distracted and discouraged by the ways I see God using fellow bloggers and expanding their reach. As humans we have the tendency to fall into the comparison trap. Rather than fully appreciating the area God has given us to fly we get caught up in comparing the size of our domain, the number of our followers, and how much higher the next person is flying.   But it is in moments like those that I’m taken back to the birds and butterflies at the lake and God quietens this anxious heart of mine. With loving encouragement and grace, He reminds me to simply use the wings he has given me. We all will not pollinate the same fields but the field he has called us to is important just the same.

My prayer for you is that you will soar unhindered and uninhibited into all the places God has called you and that you freely use every gift given you. Many blessings.

WandaWanda is a single southern girl who often finds herself lost in a good book. When she’s not busy working, she enjoys spending her free time with family, blogging, and sipping on a cold coca-cola, although she has found that nothing quite satisfies her thirst quite like God.
Blog / Twitter / Google+
Join me!

Barbie

I am wife, mom to 4 beautiful children, sister, daughter and friend. I have been marked by the love of a relentless God who never stops pursuing me. My desire is to encourage you on your journey, giving you glimpses of His love and sprinkles of His grace along the way.
Join me!

Latest posts by Barbie (see all)

Comments

Wanda, you’ve spoken a heartful, and I’m teared up. I can relate in so many way; I can’t begin to count them all. I remember watching some bees over the Summer, how they just kept on buzzing through those wildflowers no matter what the others were doing. You have reminded me today that I am, that WE ARE, called to HIS PURPOSE (Romans 8:28), so let us keep pursuing no matter what. There is no condemnation (Romans 8:1). He loves us (Romans 8:39).

Love this Wanda…so true!! We are to appreciate what God has called US to do and work it to the best of our abilities! Thanks so much for sharing!! Have an awesome week my friend! :-)

Wanda, this was absolutely inspiring! I was so touched by what you saw in God’s creation. As you know, I posted today about rest – and I am realizing that God sometimes just wants us to spend time in His natural world, and let Him speak to us there. And, as a girl who also falls prey to that comparison trap, I love what you had to say about that. This was my favorite line:

“He reminds me to simply use the wings he has given me.”

Yes, it’s just as simple as that. I truly believe that God wants me to continue blogging – but beyond that, to just *rest* – to not search and strive for something bigger.

Birds and butterflies have much to teach us – there is indeed beauty to be found in flying in your own space!!

GOD BLESS!
    Sharon recently posted..SAY THAT AGAIN, LORD?

Hi Barbie thanks for sharing Wanda and her view! Wonderful inspiration in this post~ WE do fear that we aren’t enough, aren’t heard and don’t continue our paths…we each have one. This is a gorgeous reminder to be ourselves and respectful of those around us with similar or different voices~ I am at peace reading your post and reminded of my path~ Thank you Wanda for your gift, your voice! ((hugs)) And reminding us to hear his~
    Ella recently posted..Stillness

• says

Ella I love the way you expressed it. I agree most of struggle with those fears. Your unique voice always inspires me. You know how to dig out the beauty in things I often fail to see. So glad our paths crossed in this place called blogland.
      Wanda recently posted..Meet Me at the Lake

Hi Wanda! I love nature too. It just calms me down, and all the crazy chatter in my head finally takes a break. Isn’t it just like the Lord to teach in the smallest of things. A butterfly and birds. We see them all the time, but do they ‘say’ anything to us? They spoke to you, and that is such a blessing.

Thank you for the encouragement to continue doing what I feel called to do. There are a lot of bloggers and writers out there, so it’s pretty easy to wonder why I should keep going. I think we all need to hear encouragement to just keep going if the call is there.

You were that confirmation for me today. Thank you :)
    Ceil
    Ceil recently posted..Praying for Cookies

“My prayer for you is that you will soar unhindered and uninhibited into all the places God has called you and that you freely use every gift given you.”

Thanks, Wanda! how beautiful to see the unique ways that God speaks to each of us!

I intend to soak up nature and remember why God gave me the gift of a blog while at The High Calling’s Retreat this weekend. I look forward to hearing from the Lord in nature, but also through fellow believers using their gifts to build up the body of Christ.
    Alison Hector recently posted..The lifter of my head

• says

Oh how neat that you get you get to go on a retreat Alison. It’s often in the slower places and changes of normal routines that I get clear direction. Hope you enjoy it and I look forward to receive the overflow from your retreat. Many blessing Alison.
      Wanda recently posted..Meet Me at the Lake

I question myself with this blogging thing a lot more than I realized. You have truly encouraged me today to not listen to the negative voices and to just go with where and to whom God has me writing right now. I hope that others who need it are led here to read it as well. I know it will bless. Thank you!
    Amy Jung recently posted..You’re Walking on Holy Ground