The Weekend Brew

The Weekend Brew: Who’s In Your View?

April 10, 2014

Psalm 16:8

Life get’s out of control sometimes, even for a semi-control freak like me.  You try to keep it all together, striving for order in your messy, calm in your chaos and cool in your hot flashes.  But really, life moves at a much faster pace than I can keep up with.

In the hustle and bustle of life, It’s easy to become short sighted, only able to see the looming mess and chaos — the unfinished laundry, the homeschool books (boxes and boxes of them) that you are still trying to sell, and the untidiness of your home.

On those days, I long for a different view.  I want to sit and gaze out the window into the clear blue sky, or take a long walk by the creek and hear the water rushing beneath my feet.  When this one screams “Galgon, take me away”, she scurries off to find a place to call beautiful, something to take her attention off the ugliness of the day.

I was reminded of this verse a week or so ago, of how David set the Lord before him.  The scripture is a promise that the Lord will not abandon our soul.  And again, I am reminded that I must speak to my soul, and say, “Rise up, soul, and bless the Lord!”  Even in times of trouble, David placed the Lord in front of Him.  He knew that by keeping His eyes on the Lord, His feet would not fall, and He would not be shaken.

I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.  (Psalm 16:8 ESV)

On those days where I want to turn and run for the hills, the greener pastures, and the quiet moments, I need to check my view and make sure that Jesus is still in front of me, in plain sight. By looking at Him, my perspective about everything else changes.

Have you checked your view lately?  Ask the Lord to show you a glimpse of Himself, and fix your eyes on Him.  He will never fail you!

TheWeekendBrewButtonNow it’s your turn to share encouragement here at The Weekend Brew.
1. Share a post, photo, scripture — anything that breathes life and encourages.
2. Grab the button to use in your post, or simply link here.
3. Visit the person who linked up before you (and a few others if you have time).

You Might Also Like

• Reply Beth April 11, 2014 at 4:09 am

Oh, I want to see Him always in front of me too. What a beautiful message to begin the weekend with . . . and one I should read again every Monday. Delighted to see you working with that lovely Satin. :) Love you, friend. Have a blessed weekend.
    Beth recently posted..Friday Randomness (Vol. 22)

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 1:07 am

So thankful for Satin and her beautiful work. Have a beautiful weekend!

• Reply Denise April 11, 2014 at 5:12 am

So very encouraging. Enjoy your weekend.

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 1:07 am

Thank you Denise!

• Reply Chris Malkemes April 11, 2014 at 7:20 am

Super words of encouragement. It is so important to slow down and enjoy the present of the present in His presence – the other stuff can wait.
    Chris Malkemes recently posted..The Shotgun Preacher

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 1:08 am

Thanks for stopping by Chris. Have a lovely weekend.

• Reply Rosann April 11, 2014 at 9:08 am

Oh how I’m fixing my eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of my faith. I need Him so much these days. I’m so grateful that even though I have a terrible tendency to lose sight of Him when life is easy, the moment I call out “Jesus, save me!” His strong hand reaches down to grab mine.
    Rosann recently posted..The Modern Life Study Bible: God’s Word for Our World

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 1:09 am

I’ve been praying for you my friend, and will continue to do so. May you sense His presence and feel His overwhelming peace.

• Reply satin April 11, 2014 at 10:29 am

What a beautiful way of incorporating Psalm 16:8 into your post! I love this! Sometimes it’s such a struggle to see beyond the immediate, the mess & the stress! I love your reminder that we have a choice: a choice to focus on the things in front of us, or to instead, focus on Jesus! Thank you so much for sharing! Appreciate your sweet words & the opportunity to work with you! Much Love! ♥
    satin recently posted..Reveling in “Wait”

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 1:10 am

So thankful for you Satin, and your beautiful heart for the Lord. Hugs!

• Reply Mary Geisen April 11, 2014 at 10:47 am

I loved this Barbie! I know sometimes I spend my life looking out the rear view mirror instead of looking ahead. God is always before us -leading us and making the path clear. Praying we all look ahead today and glimpse the view! Blessings!
    Mary Geisen recently posted..Coffee Cravings – Play

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 1:11 am

AMEN! Have a beautiful weekend Mary!

• Reply June April 11, 2014 at 10:48 am

He will never fail us, Barbie! So true, and such a wonderful inspiration and encouragement for the weekend. Thank you!
    June recently posted..Inspired by . . .

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 8:50 am

Blessings to you June!

• Reply Lyli @3-D Lessons for Life April 11, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Barbie, this really encouraged me today. Thank you!!!!! :)
    Lyli @3-D Lessons for Life recently posted..Lessons Learned in 3-D: Resignation

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 8:50 am

Thanks for stopping by Lyli!

• Reply Rebecca Evans April 11, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Beautiful Barbie!!

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 8:51 am

Thanks for visiting Rebecca. Have a blessed weekend.

• Reply Elizabeth April 11, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I’ve sure felt like that before…I think of the Psalm, “oh that I had wings like a bird, I would fly away and be at rest”. A different location isn’t always possible is it? But, a different mindset and focus is always available! I’m glad we can encourage each other during these times. Much love to you, Barbie!
    Elizabeth recently posted..Thank You for the cross, My Friend…

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 8:52 am

So thankful to have you along on this journey Elizabeth. Praying you have a beautiful weekend.

• Reply Dolly@Soulstops April 11, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Barbie,
    Love that verse and your words…Thank you :)
    Dolly@Soulstops recently posted..Five Minute Fridays: Paint

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 8:52 am

Always love when you stop by Dolly!

• Reply Joanne Viola April 12, 2014 at 3:34 am

I loved what you have reminded us of here, Barbie. We must “set” the Lord before us – He must be firmly in place. Then no matter what our day brings, we will not be shaken or moved because we will know He is going before us. Beautiful thoughts, Barbie! Blessings!
    Joanne Viola recently posted..Of Belonging, Beauty, & Friendship

• Reply Barbie April 12, 2014 at 8:53 am

AMEN my friend!

• Reply Jedidja April 12, 2014 at 11:27 am

Thanks Barbie for the beautiful, honest and powerful blog. I’m happy with it. Let’s continue look upon Jesus. In dark days and in sunny days. He is the Author of our lives.

• Reply Barbie April 14, 2014 at 7:23 pm

AMEN Jedidja! Have a blessed week.

• Reply Anders April 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm

That scripture verse (Psalm 16:8) tells us The Lord of David was The Son – the son of his as a being of God. :-)

• Reply Sharon @ Faith Hope Cherrytea April 12, 2014 at 4:06 pm

beautiful graphic for the content !
    He is before us on so many levels – Creation beauty is definitely one !
    Sharon @ Faith Hope Cherrytea recently posted..LENT: COMPASSIONATE LEADING – CONTEMPLATIVE MEDITATION 12.4.13

• Reply Barbie April 14, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Thank you for stopping by Sharon! Praying you have a blessed week.

• Reply Denise April 13, 2014 at 3:00 am

Oh, it is so easy to get caught up in the business of life! I am learning more and more (thank goodness!) to appreciated my time, and fill it to the fullest! It is so precious, and I don’t want to miss out on anything that God brings to me. ♥ Love the artwork!

Blessings and love this Palm Sunday and the beginning of Holy Week dear Barbie,
    Denise ♥
    Denise recently posted..Don’t Hold Back

• Reply Barbie April 14, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Yes, it is. Most days I feel like my life is running me and I’m trying to catch up. Blessings!

• Reply Sandra Heska King April 13, 2014 at 1:44 pm

It’s often so much easier to focus on the mess rather than the Master of the mess.
    Sandra Heska King recently posted..40 Words of Lent 2014: Day 40 (Scripture Sunday)

• Reply Barbie April 14, 2014 at 7:22 pm

So true Sandra. Thank you for stopping by.

• Reply charis April 15, 2014 at 8:57 pm

very encouraging barbie! thank you.